[RC] What I have learned re girth rubs - Laura Hayes

Mike-

Funny you should ask -  in a bizzilion miles, I have never had a girth rub until Mo, my current fat ride.  She is the easiest keeper I have ever had and the best natured creature to boot.  Not sure what I did to deserve her, but I'll take it.

No girth rubs in the first 8 rides all flat and within a few weeks of each other (think Santa Fe).  But she got touchy and slightly swollen at Alabama Yellowhammer due, I think, to the up and down nature of the trail and her propensity for becoming a full figured girl overnight (not throwing stones here :)  Since then, I have started using A&D ointment (in the baby butt aisle of walmart) without the zinc - less messy and unslightly than Desitin or Gall salve, and seems to clean off better.  Also, a mohair string girth has helped.  One thought is that a crupper and proper breastcollar will keep the saddle from shifting.  Just some thoughts.  Hope you get it figured out.

Laura H