Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Farriers

After firing many farriers - I believe that the farrier can make a big difference in the way the horse travels.  I've seen a mild confomation issue with my mare, for instance, become a total uneven-ness because the farrier says that's just they way she is, rather than trying to do something to make her travel more even.  The net result had been a progressive unbalancing of that limb.  She does tend to grow a flare on that toe, but a good farrier would manage it, and an unaware farrier would just blame her conformation.

She does much better when I keep that flare trimmed down.  I don't like trimming hooves that much, but I decided that I knew more about how to keep my horses even than most of the farriers who totally have attitudes, so I've got the nippers, knives and files in my toolkit now.  Hopefully if I ever need a farrier again, a worthwhile one would appear miraculously.   The best farriers I've had were those fresh out of farrier school, and a few shoeings later they become "creative" and it starts going downhill from there and I end up firing them.

K.