Re: [RC] shoeing in vet school - rides2far

Just a suggestion when picking a farrier school. Might want to call the
closest equine vet to where they practice. There's one up here that used
to keep my vet & farrier really busy...head guy can really talk the talk
though. My neighbor had a really nice AQHA fun/kid's horse. Got a bad
case of whiteline but no worse than what I'd seen get well many times. I
tried to show the guy how to treat it but he took him down there to that
school and the guy told him it was going to cost at least $1200 worth of
shoeing to save the horse...so they donated it to him! Made me furious.
But from what I hear, you can start an association, vote yourself into
the hall of fame, then have a TV show and say whatever you want and
people will believe you whether you can shoe a horse or not. Ever since
I've started being published myself, I question *all* authority. If I can
get printed...ANYBODY CAN! >g<

Angie

I checked out a bunch of farrier schools last year.  All of them
teach
physiology, locomotion and biomechanics in addition to how to
trim/shoe and
make shoes.  I think they get a much more thorough education in
farrier
school than the typical veterinarian receives in vet school.

I haven?t met very many veterinarians who know too much about
hooves.  The
two I know personally who know quite a bit have taken it upon
themselves to
get a lot of continuing education to learn what they know.  In
addition they
have both associated themselves with a farrier school in order to
continue
learning which has opened opportunities for them to participate with
the
school in pathology cases (helps the farriers out to have x-rays and
such
and helps the vet out to learn more in the process).

   _____

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen
Sullivan

I wonder how much the current horse-shoeing schools are teaching
hoof
physiology, versus just how to file a hoof flat and nail on a shoe?

Karen

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11/21/2007
10:01 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11/21/2007
10:01 AM

Angie McGhee
http://www.lightersideofendurance.com
Work it harder, Make it better, Do it faster, Makes us stronger!