Re: [RC] [RC] Beet Pulp Chronicles - Karen Sullivan

On 11/21/07, Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM <suendavid@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am I the only one that's baffled as to why a farrier would be considered a reliable source of information on anything having to do with horses other than foot-related issues?  Unless and until they've demonstrated some actual quantifiable training or knowledge in the area?

I have very little training in shoeing (I can remove a shoe without tearing up the hoof wall, or pare out an abscess, and that's about the extent of my comfort zone) and so(logically enough), you won't catch me pretending that I'm a shoer.

*Susan....curious to hear what the current (you are "relatively" current vet) teachings are in vet school regarding proper hoof function, form and physiology?.  Frankly, I would trust a vet over a shoer most of the time if I had questions regarding any hoof abnormalities, or pathologies.  I have seen what I consider very few good shoe jobs in many, many years of owning horses,and have seen some real horror cases, with long toes, wedges, etc......I typically see really high heels and long feet; or run-under heels and long toes,in my neck of the woods.....

I wonder how much the current horse-shoeing schools are teaching hoof physiology, versus just how to file a hoof flat and nail on a shoe?

Karen