RE: [RC] Ground Flax & Arthritis - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Flax is a fairly concentrated source of omega-three fatty acids, which have
some natural anti-inflammatory properties.  It won't replace bute, but it's
useful.  It can be very helpful for some chronic inflammatory issues, like
fly allergies, some arthritic conditions, things like that.  It's just good
stuff, so if you're seeing some improvement, great, go for it.

You can work your way up to some pretty impressive amounts on a daily basis,
but increase the amounts gradually.  Adding an additional half cup a week
would be reasonable.  It's not that there's any safety issue in increasing
it faster than that, but the oil component is also a pretty powerful
cathartic, and adding too much too soon could cause some loose
stool/diarrhea.  On the racetrack, they often sometimes stomach tube a
racehorse with a pint or so of linseed oil (the same thing as flax oil, but
extracted via heat process) to empty them out before a race.  Can you say
"paint the wall"?  If you work your way up gradually, I have a number of
horses that get over four pounds of ground flax seed a day (very high
mileage racing endurance horses that need the calories from fat, but won't
touch other fat sources).  And, they have the shiniest coats and nicest feet
you ever saw in your life. :-)  It's a routine chore for the kids to sit in
front of the TV, grinding flax seed and dumping it into freezer baggies.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM