Re: [RC] grass hay - Truman Prevatt

Hi Becky,

I've never been a fan of Timothy. We never had much luck with it and horses when I was a kid. It's fine for cows but we finally plowed up our Timothy fields and planted Orchard Grass. I much prefer Orchard Grass hay and my horse eat either Orchard Grass of Tiffton 44 (which is a Bermuda hybrid grass) quite well. You should be able to find Orchard Grass in MD I would expect.

Truman

rnbianchi wrote:
How do people get their horses to eat grass hay? I have some nice soft, second cutting grass hay that my horses turn their noses up at and like to use as bedding. Is it that they aren't hungry? Or are they so spoiled that they are waiting for something better (I also feed them grass/alfalfa mix hay and timothy). They didn't really like the Timothy when I first got it, which angered me as it is expensive hay in our area of MD this drought year, but now they eat it quite well. Should I feed only the grass hay until they start eating it? I know that people say not to feed a lot (any) alfalfa to horses, but least with that hay I know they are going to eat every strand! I like to offer the alfalfa at the vet checks at rides because I know they will eat it if they are hungry, not so with other types of hay.
Cheers,
Becky

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics