Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:33:57 -0500
From: rnbianchi@xxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] grass hay

How do people get their horses to eat grass hay?  I have some nice soft, second cutting grass hay that my horses turn their noses up at and like to use as bedding.  Is it that they aren't hungry?  Or are they so spoiled that they are waiting for something better (I also feed them grass/alfalfa mix hay and timothy).  They didn't really like the Timothy when I first got it, which angered me as it is expensive hay in our area of MD this drought year, but now they eat it quite well.  Should I feed only the grass hay until they start eating it?  I know that people say not to feed a lot (any) alfalfa to horses, but least with that hay I know they are going to eat every strand!  I like to offer the alfalfa at the vet checks at rides because I know they will eat it if they are hungry, not so with other types of hay.
Cheers,
Becky