[RC] Southern Calif Fire agencies prepare for strong Santa Ana Winds Mon 11/20- Fri 11/24 - Eric Drew

So here we go again.  Be prepared for the worst and pray for the best

The State is prepositioning a heck of a lot of people and equipment just in case we get fires popping up

Saturday, November 17, 2007
The US Forest Service Prepares for Santa Ana Winds

Experts have forecast Santa Ana winds to begin as early as Tuesday morning

VALLEJO, Calif. November 16, 2007? In anticipation of forecasted Santa Ana winds expected Tuesday, the Forest Service is bringing in additional firefighters, fire engines, and aircraft that will be ready to respond to any new fire as soon as it starts.

In addition to the hundreds of Forest Service firefighters that are normally in place in southern California at this time of year, the agency is bringing in more than 75 additional fire engines, 15 hand crews, 13 helitankers, and eight fixed wing airtankers that will be available for any new fire starts during the Santa Ana wind event. Additionally, the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve will pre-position four MAFFS equipped C-130 firefighting aircraft in southern California.

?By Monday afternoon all of our additional resources will be in place, and we feel confident that in conjunction with the preparedness efforts of our state and local partners that we have ample resources to quickly respond to any new fires as soon as they start,? said Pacific Southwest Region Director of Fire and Aviation Management Ed Hollenshead.

Experts have forecast Santa Ana winds to begin as early as Tuesday morning, and are expected to remain in the area through Saturday morning.

Fire Potential Discussion:

The potential for large fire will be low to very low across the region through Monday. The potential for large fire will become high over Southern California next Tuesday through Thursday as widespread very strong Santa Ana winds blow and humidity becomes very low. Winds will be north to east 30 to 45 mph with gusts to 70 mph and minimum humidity will be in the single digits and teens. The potential for large fire will increase over portions of Central California next Tuesday through Thursday due to locally gusty north to east win ds and very low humidity. Winds will be 12 to 25 mph with gusts to 40 mph over the wind prone areas and minimum humidity will be in the single digits and teens. Expect initial attack to remain very light across the region through Monday then become moderate to heavy especially over Southern California Tuesday through Thursday.

Technorati Links ? Email this ? Digg This! ? Share on Facebook ? Subscribe to this feed ? Save to del.icio.us

Posted by Bob Blogger at 11/17/2007 07:20:00 AM 0 comments Links to this post

Labels: Santa Ana winds

OES: Prepositioning resources in South state - Santa Ana's

Dozens of Northern California Fire fighting resources headed to southern California in anticipation of Santa Ana wind events forecast starting Monday for Southern California.
Cal Fire said the preparations would also include utilizing military aircraft as well as local fire agency aircraft.
Both the Navy and Marines have been notified. The Navy said it has six helicopter's available and Marines ha ve about 13 that could be available if needed.
The National Weather Service issued a wind warning, saying strong offshore winds are possible next Tuesday through Thursday.
Wind gusts could reach 70 mph. However this will be a "cool offshore event," with temperatures forecast to be below seasonal average."The only difference is that it's going to be 20-degrees cooler," said San Diego Fire Chief Tracy Jarman. "So the winds will be 30-45 mph with gusts up to 70 mph. That's the same circumstance we found ourselves in in the last fire storm."

Region I and VI in preparation for this weekend's Santa Ana wind event:

124 federal engines, 285 CALFIRE & Local Government engines
includes 10 OES Strike teams, 10 OES water tenders & 10 LG Type 3
Strike Teams
10 Local Governmen water tenders
21 Type 1 handcrews
68 Type 2 CALFIRE & Local Government handcrews
25 dozers
40 air tankers
21 helicopters

IMT's -
Globter's Boise NIMO Incident Management Team is mobilized on CA-OSC-0114 to Southern California with a specific location to be determined.
Southern California Incident Management Team 1 (Walker) is mobilized on CA-OSC-0120 to San Bernardino Area with a specific location to be determined.
California Incident Management Team 2 (Molumby) is mobilized on CA-OSC-0120 to Ontario CA. with a specific location to be determined

Eric