RE: [RC] [RC] ad in the EN - Kelly Lane

Wow. The most right on thing I've read on here lately.

Kel

Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:23:04 -0700
From: fradasol@xxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] ad in the EN

This thread on the appearance of a horse in the EN advertisement is interesting.

What's wrong with the picture?
The rider looks happy, the horse looks happy.

  Perhaps an endurance advertisement of a horse coming into a vet check with three people sloshing cold water on it to get it to cool down just enough to meet pulse/recovery criteria, while massage is being applying to tightening muscles (in order to continue), while cold water is being applied to active pathology in lower limbs to slow it down so the vet check can be passed, would be more appropriate?
  Perhaps an endurance advertisement of a horse racing out of a vet check to "catch up" after having to remain in that vet check an extra few minutes to meet recovery criteria or for its gut motility to kick back in would be more appropriate?
  Perhaps an endurancement advertisement of a horse whose cut or banged up lower limb cuts are being evaluated to determine whether than horse is sound enough to CONTINUE on the oh-so-important-endurance-event it now finds itself on.
  There are many ads which could be run in a magazine to illustrate the sport, some absolutely wonderful and inviting, to be sure.

It's amazing how "wrapped around the axle" people get on the "appearance" of things and then are able to turn an eye at what is standing, live, right before them.

I know, "appearances" can be deceiving.

Frank Solano

On 11/14/07, k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Carla Richardson said:

> But I still know that if it were "me" and my horse,
> I'd be feeling bad now.  And that makes me feel bad.

If the lady in the picture signed a model release (which, if somebody
used her picture in an advertisement, they should have gotten one from
her), then she should have taken a good look at the picture before
allowing it to be used.

Allowing your picture to be published in an advertisement is ASKING to
have it viewed and critiqued.  Advertisement are, by definition,
messages.  You want to take a good hard look at the messages you are
sending with the pictures you approve before approving them.  And if you
are in the picture, you don't want to let somebody else do this for you.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

p.s.  Personally, I haven't seen the ad, or if I have, I haven't noticed
it; I rarely ever look at any of the ads in the EN; so I am not
commenting directly on the photo or the person in it, just that there is
no reason to "feel bad" about critiquing a photo in a published
advertisement.