[RC] sudden behavior change/what worked - alexis_mills

I had this same experience last spring and this is what I did:

1) I started giving my horse Dynamite on the advice of Ranelle (who, yes, is a distributor and has a vested interest, but what a great product).

2) I first went back to 1/2 grass & 1/2 alfalfa (the boarding stable had switched to straight alfalfa) and then moved my horse to a stable that feeds only grass, and where more than 20 horses, most of them eventers or dressage horses, are happily barefoot and turned out 24/7.

3) I started taking Lexapro, one of the newer antidepressants. I've used such drugs on and off since adolescence (I'm now almost 50) and hate to think I'll have to forever, but I'd gotten so miserable that I think my young horse no longer recognized me, and every spook/180-bolt was triggering a panic attack. (Some of you may remember that the problems started last March w/ him running away with me after we encountered a white cow in dense brush.)

Anyway... it took about a month for things to turn around, but they did, and my horse and I are back to our old selves, enjoying life together, and I'm hoping we'll be ready for our first 25 next March, a month before he turns six. We'll be going for the turtle award, but I'm not even going to worry about completing. I just want to enjoy the ride....