[RC] Myths - Bruce Weary

  Hi Peter--
  I am almost certain that records are not kept at AERC regarding veterinary treatments given at rides, unless they pertain to a horse that dies or is euthanized.  I think we tend to remember the most noticeable form of treatment, that of a horse on a jugular catheter receiving fluids. When we don't see this at a ride, many may assume that not much treatment is going on. The first round of treatment is often an IV dose of Banamine or other injectable, and this only takes a few seconds, may not be noticed by anyone but the vet and a rider or two, and certainly isn't announced to the entire basecamp. This can occur at any place along the entire trail course, and a horse trailered in from a vet stop may have already received treatment, and needs no more after his return to camp. All permutations exist, which is why I took exception to conclusions you or Truman had made regarding the presumed occurrence of treatment you thought was or wasn't going on from the very limited perspective of a single person's observations. Susan Garlinghouse supported my opinion in her earlier post. There are various things going on at various rides of various distances with various riders of various experience, and horses of various level of conditioning. I can't say it more clearly than that. :)))
   I have noticed that attention is often brought to abuse that may be occurring to horses at the longer distances, presumably to distract attention away from the suggestion that horses ridden by inexperienced riders in LDs  should be protected. These are not mutually exclusive goals. Horses at *all* distances should be protected with prudent, effective, workable policies. What and how those policies are implemented requires contemplation by knowledgeable people, and we must resist the temptation to extrapolate our limited personal observations into the assumption that what we think we see must be what is going on everywhere, and therefore is an accurate image of reality. The horse deserves for us to do our homework.      Bruce Weary