[RC] Rule Change Proposal: final version - Beth Walker

I've sent this on to my regional rep. ?It may not get much farther. ?

I would like to say thank you to everyone that gave me comments and ideas on this. ?This proposal generated a lot of controversy, so it is entirely possible that it won't get very far. ?At least I will have tried.

--------- ?Final Version ------------

Proposal:? Initiate a new ride category - Novice Rider - applicable at any distance.? This category would apply to any rider who has not completed 3 rides at the distance (or greater) that they are proposing to ride.

Logistics: ?
?? 1. ?Determining a "novice rider" is based on information entered by the rider on the ride entry form.
?? 2. ?This rule applies to Day Members as well as AERC members.

Rules for this category:

?? 1.? Novice riders are subject to a minimum time of completion.? Completing the ride in under the minimum time will result in a disqualification.??Minimum times can be calculated for rides with distances other than those stated. ?Minimum times are:
25 miles:?? ? ?4 hours
50 miles:?? ? ?8 hours
75 miles:?? ?12 hours
100 miles:? 16 hours

?? 2.? Novice riders are subject to an exit CRI from each vet check, and at the post-ride check.? The horse's post trot-out heart rate must be equal or below the CRI trot-out rate.? One recheck after a 15 minute rest is allowed if the horse fails the initial CRI check.? Failure of the second check will result in elimination.

?? 3.? Ride management will designate Novice Riders by issuing different-colored ride cards, or by a different numbering system, or other such means as determined by the Ride Manager to distinguish the Novice Rider status on the Ride Card.

?? 4. ?Attendance at the ride meeting is mandatory for novice riders. ?If there is a special "new rider" meeting given by Ride Management, that meeting is also mandatory. ?Failure to attend shall result in disqualification. ?Exceptions can be made by ride management on a case-by-case basis for extenuating circumstances.

?? 5. ?Novice Riders are eligible only for completion awards, except for the Novice Division High Vet Score award. ?

?? 6. ?Novice Riders are eligible for a Novice Division High Vet Score award. ?This award is given at the discretion of the veterinarian(s). ?The award does not have to be given if the?veterinarian(s) feel that none of the equines in contention for the award deserve to receive it. ?In the event of a tie, the equine that finished ahead of the other(s) will be the winner.