From: Marinera@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Trail trash tirade, with apologies
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:52:26 EST

Someone wrote to Ridecamp...
The LD crowd are some of the nicest folks to meet, and the attitude of some
of these high-and-mighty 50 folks (many of whom probably haven't completed a
100) regarding the presence of LD riders is surprising. As a matter of
fact, the behavior of some of the 50+ mile riders I've encountered on the
trail has done more to steer me away from this sport than a bad day on the
horse could ever do.

This really gets to me and I know it has been hashed and rehashed ad
infinitum and we are all sick of the subject so I hope not to extend it too much.
The L Dâ??ers who feel they are looked down upon, who seem to find that all â??high
and mighty" 50 and 100 milers are rude are going to have to start naming
names because I do not know to whom they are referring and I really want to know.

Trail Trash Kathy Copeland, who never rides anything except L Dâ??s is one of
the most knowledgeable horsewomen I know. Why? Because that is her choice. In
spite of her lesser mileage, she is very highly respected. Trail Trash
Barbara White, with 28 Tevis Cup buckles in a drawer someplace, rode an L D last
weekend and is going on another LD in two weeks. Why? She doesnâ??t have a
higher mileage horse at the moment and she loves the LD rides. I find it
interesting that Trail Trash John Crandell, who is probably one of the best riders our
sport has ever produced, did not feel demeaned by riding L Ds each of the last
few years which are the years when he was also winning Tevis, Old Dominion
and a National Championship. Trail Trash Becky Hart, three time World champion
endurance rider, was actually seen on an LD ride a few years ago. As was
Valerie Kanavy, two time World Champion, so I guess that makes her Trail Trash.

I know all these people personally. I do not think there is a snobbish, â??I
am better than you because I've ridden furtherâ?? bone in their collective
bodies.

The majority of L D riders are nice people. Some, however, seem to have
imagined insults problems that I believe occur only very rarely. Next time the
accusation is made, I want to know the names of the offenders. If you donâ??t
know the names, get the numbers off the horses' butts. I will track them down.

I heard a good quote the other day I really like. I do not know the origin. â??
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to
dance in the rain.â?? We need more dancers.

Julie Suhr
P.S. And I am tired of the Welfare of the Horse Committee and the Protest and
Grievance Committee being nefariously accused of misconduct, failure to
perform, cover up and worse. I see them as dedicated and hard working voices of our
horses.