Re: [RC] LD trail trash - Truman Prevatt

Actually I think it is a lot simpler than that. In general people do not crave to or go out and seek unsolicited advice be it on how they raise their kids, the color of their house, where they chose to live, how they feed their dogs, the type of saddle they ride their horse in or what distance the prefer to ride. Unsolicited advice is well "unsolicited." As my Granddaddy used to say something like - "what I chose to do and how I chose to do it is my business and I don't need someone else sticking their nose into it because they think it is for my own good. I will be the person that decides my own good."

To some extent many people consider even well intended unsolicited advice as crossing the line and quite frankly might just resent it and resent what they see as the necessity of having to "defend their decisions." The Internet seems to have brought back the "small town mentality" of everyone has their nose in everyone else's business ;-) and it makes it too easy to "give just a little advice that might help them."

I don't think it has anything to do with politicians - I think it has to do with people seeing their space is being violated and not liking it one damn bit.

As the old Joe South song of the late 60's early 70's time frame admonishes -

"If I could be you and you could be me for just one hour
If we could find a way to get inside each other's mind
If you could see me through your eyes instead of your ego
I believe you'd be surprised to see that you'd been blind.

Walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my shoes
And before you abuse, criticize and accuse
Walk a mile in my shoes.

Now your whole world you see around you is just a reflection
And the law of common says you reap just what you sow
So unless you've lived a life of total perfection
You'd better be careful of every stone that you throw...."

Personally I think if everyone lived by those words - there would be a lot less conflict on the list.

Truman
PS: I'm going to have to make me a "Trail Trash" T-shirt so I can wear it the next time I decide to ride 25 ;-) !

Linda Marins wrote:

This reminds me of trying to get through to a politican. They've
all heard so many people so long with the same complaints that
they have unconsciously come up with a mental list of "The
Five Things People Say To Me," immediately followed by
"My Five Stock Answers." Heaven help you if you try to
discuss a Sixth Subject not on their mental list. The first
word out of your mouth that bears even the slightest
resemblance to one of The Five Things People Say to
him, and their brain shuts off, they stop listening to you,
and their mouth goes on autopilot reciting the appropriate
one of the Five Stock Answers--no matter how irrelevant
it is to the point you're trying to make.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics