Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] LD Riders "Trail Trash"

I am sorry that you feel this way.  I don't believe that the majority of people in this sport think of LD'ers as Trail Trash.  I know that I don't, and I don't know any here in the SE that do.  We don't care why you ride LD's, that is up to each to find their own thing.  I believe that what was being said, is that times have changed, like it or not, and that many of us didn't have the LD option, therefore have a hard time understanding.  People now have that option.  At the same time, if you really want to stay in the LD division, fine, just say so (And you have).  Many other LD people have said that they *couldn't* move up yet, again for whatever reasons.  This is where the older bunch sees it as being an excuse, because I would be willing to bet that nearly 100% of us have at least as many problems/obligations to overcome to get a horse in shape and get to rides.  If you look at it from this prospective:  You have to have a farrier for shoes/barefoot trim, etc.  You already pay for vet care, feed, transportation, housing, tack, etc. to do the LD.  You are conditioning your horse for LD's and competing.  There really is a very small step to a 50, and the rewards (if you really DO want to do more) are great.  The same can be said for 50's, and that it is a small step up to 100's.

I don't want you to think that I am fussing at you, I am not.  I have a good friend that is 99% an LD rider.  She and I are from two different ends of the spectrum.  BUT, we have both learned a great deal from each other.  I have helped her to understand why we "old farts" are so stubbord on issues like this, and she has in return helped me understand where the LD group is coming from.  How they think, why they are afraid or overwhelmed by the longer distances, etc.   Does that make sense?

Hope that you can feel better about yourself.

Jody

Kathy Copeland <ponyup1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay so here it is in a nut shell, I am a LD rider and just like all other LD riders, it is of my own chosing for whatever the reasons may be.  Whether you agree with my choices or not, like me or not, want to call me names or not, I don't really care!   I am "Trail Trash" but I am dam proud of it, and happy to get to be "Trail Trash" and will continue being "Trail Trash" for as long as necessary even if it is forever.  The rest of my team is also Ditto on this.  I think everyone needs to just get over themselves and get back on the trails.  Team Slow Poke will be out there whenever possibel "Trashing the Trails".  By the way thanks to the person who referred to us on a ride with this term so we could come up with our new slogan.

Team Slow Poke   "Trail Trash and Proud Of It"
Kathy Copeland