Re: [RC] New topic...flash lites - Jessica Spoone-Raines

I've always been a fan of maglites, they're sturdy, very well made and put out quite a lot of light, even the small ones.
Jess Spoone-Raines

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:24 AM
Subject: [RC] New topic...flash lites

Okay, so here I sit,  2 a.m. in the morning. Wide awake after discovering 2 of our horses had escaped their pen on a rainy nite. Thank goodness one of our other horses took exception to their flight and started calling to them. That is what woke my husband up, who in turn woke me.
I grab the biggest flashlite we have, only to find that it is about out of power. It is a rechargable, with very high candle power, yet won't keep a charge, even if it isn't in use. Luckily, there is just enough power left to locate the wayward horses. They were down at the barn, munching peacefully on loose hay.
After tugging on their blankets, who needs halters...and getting them settled into stalls in the barn, we try to go back to sleep. But there I lay, thinking about how poorly that flashlite works in times of real need. And I think about all the good answers to be found on Ridecamp and the Endurance Open.

So, folks, what high powered flashlites do you use? I need something that is strong enough to really light up the area, and reach a fairly good distance out there.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Lori