[RC] Sultans Cup at 6 hours - Steph Teeter

http://www.malaysia-wec.com/sultanscup.html

John just posted pdf files of full results from Vetgate 1 and Vetgate 2, and eliminations. After VG2 - at 52.8 km - 3 eliminations. 1 lame, 2 metabolic (a mild tie up for Brazilian rider Mariana Steinbruch's horse, the other M pull I'm not sure about). Fastest time is 15.56 km/hr - 9.6 mph, slowest is 11.07 km/hr - 6.9 mph.

Loop 2 was the 'hard loop' - more technical trail, and fairly long. Generally it was done more slowly than loop 1.

It's still raining, but not a torrential downpour any more. We had 2 solid hours of 'open up the skies' rain - it was incredible!!! The cooling area was a lake. All the preparations made for cooling the horses after the first loop - neat lines of buckets filled with cold water, sponges, ice... the buckets looked rather sad in the inches deep water. And when the horses came in it just didn't seem right to be dumping more water over the already sopping wet horses. When Tuanku Mizan (the King) came in off of the first loop - after 2 hours riding in the drenching rain, the grooms came to get his horse, and his personal attendant came to escort him to the chalet with an umbrella! He laughed and waved him off.

Spirits are actually quite high still. The horses are doing very well in these conditions - pulsing down quickly, looking perky, eating well. I haven't seen any horses panting or looking over heated, even a few sweat blankets around. I think the riders are doing ok too - I'm sure the saddles, pads, boots, etc are soaked through - stirrup leathers stretching - fleece dripping. Soaked clothing, soggy shoes and socks. But lots of smiles and laughter. It's not cold, so nobody is really suffering - the word of the night so far is 'incredible!' . And it is.

The USA riders are in great spirits, horses are doing very well!

More later-

Steph