[RC] Pregnant mares at rides - Dodie Sable

Title: Message

I was told years ago (I think on a ride flyer) that riding pregnant or lactating mares was against AERC rules.

***No rule against it, I know because I compete my mares in foal.  I compete until they tell me enough (usually into the 7th or 8th month).  ECTRA recommends not to compete after the 6th month.  I was at a ride a couple years ago where the mare had foaled two weeks before the ride and the crew trailered the foal to all the vet stops to nurse while the mare ran - now, I personally thought this was cruel to the foal, but the mare did top 10, even though she didn't get BC, I was impressed.  I would buy a foal out of that mare!

Dodie