[RC] Fwd: posting to ridecamp - John Teeter

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barb Blum <ponyplay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: posting to ridecamp

Haven't posted in a long time, so not sure how it's done now....but my email is: bkcbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx (name is b. blum)
Felt the need to just add one note to the Mariposa/Abuse subject. So, am sending it directly to you.
======
Here's the posting:

I've known about this incident, and followed it since it happened. The horse could have died, had the rider had his way, since he initially refused medical treatment. If it had died, would the protest have been filed?

Right after it happened, Pat expressed immediate remorse over losing his temper and regret for his actions...as he should have. He was just so appalled at the spur welts on that exhausted horse and the flippant, cavalier attitude of the rider. Pat initially approached the rider with an offer to buy the horse outright, just to get it away from this owner. (Trust me, he doesn't need any more horses...let alone one who's prognosis for recovery is uncertain..)

After the altercation ended, Pat and another rider mentioned to the AERC director there that they wanted to file an animal abuse charge against the owner. The director had no interest in this, as he was fixated on Pat's "bad" behavior. So, Pat and another rider approached 3 volunteer sheriffs present at the ride and again made the request to file animal abuse charges. The volunteer sheriffs were uninterested in doing so, and offered no assistance in that quest. This is what really bugs me. It is about the horse, not about people's bruised feelings. I know we can't save every horse who is abused, but it doesn't hurt to try and save those we come in contact with. I can only assume that the AERC director at the ride was afraid of bad publicity for AERC in the realm of horse welfare. Pity. We do have a responsibility to these animals, let's not forget that. So, what exactly is the AERC's postion on reporting animal abuse?