From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Let me be perfectly clear
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:18:36 -0700

I have found in communicating an opinion that it's important to clarify, qualify and disclaim what is said in anticipation of being misunderstood or misinterpreted once it is read by many people. That should probably become the motto for RC. :> That being said, I want to make it clear that LD rides are here to stay--and they should be. I would fight to keep them if they were ever threatened with extinction, for whatever reason. I know that far and away most people who ride LD's do just fine and get into no trouble. So, those of you who do well, you know who you are, and please know my comments aren't directed at you. I also recognize people's desire to compete, excel, and be recognized. It's been said that half of what we achieve in life we do for money, and the other half is for the braggin' rights. This is true in endurance riding, as well. My concern lies in the fact that with no screening or pre-certification process, truly underinformed and mis-motivated riders can still slip into the LD venue (and I am using the LD as the example because, as Barbara McCrary said, 25 miles may not seem an impossible distance to run a horse the entire way, to a true beginner--I can remember many non-riders upon hearing about my sport asking, "So, do you gallop the whole way?") and overrun their horse, motivated by their need to compete, and with no experience to guide or restrain them. When this happens (and yes, I know that it is relatively rare and happens at other distances as well) the horse can pay a price, and I think it behooves us to close this loophole (at all distances, if need be) so that ignorance and it's dangers can be turned away at the front door. It is for this reason and this reason only that I have objected to LD's placing any emphasis on speed. Some folks have taken insult previously, because they have identified themselves as those who can go at speed in an LD and not get into trouble. Again, these aren't the riders I'm talking about. In addition, all the other benefits of the LD need to be preserved--the chance to bring along a new horse, rehab an injured horse or rider, enjoy the trail at a shorter distance as we age, etc.,.
I like Dr G's suggestion about tightening controls that are already in place at the vet check for beginners for the first five rides. I also believe in mandatory newbie meetings. Perhaps these can be taught by the vet, and he must initial their vet card to verify that they attended, or they may not enter the ride the next morning. Many of the suggestions we have seen here for improved safety are thoughtful and creative, and some present a logistical or financial challenge to implement. This line of creative dialog is something good that has sprung from the Mariposa horse's suffering. There is some symmetry to that, and you should all be congratulated for your caring creativity along these lines of improving the horse's safety. Keep the good ideas coming. Bruce Weary