[RC] LDs, Abuse, Solutions...part 1 - Natalie Herman

Well, RC bounced my first mail for too big of a size (ie, talking too long...:P) so will try this again in two or more parts...
First: LDs...Being from the west, were LDs are basically seen as training rides (meaning we rarely can compete in things like National LD BC awards, cause there are very few rides that GIVE LD BC), but have a HUGE number of people riding LDs, here is my view. I have done both LDs (had 2nd place and my friend had 1st last year in Regional LD mileage) and 50's (both of us are going on over 1000K miles of 50s this year alone, many are 2-5 day multidays with the same horse). I want to step up to 100's and the goal of Tevis starting net year as well. I enjoy all those distances (or hope to enjoy 100s, will see) for many reasons. I will also be bringing along a 5 yo next year in LDs, which will then be true "training rides" for us. Here is the thing I want answered, that everyone that is a top tenning 50/100 miler seems to shrug off, evade, or say "my horse is prepared and in shape to do it" (like mine doing the LD HASN'T been prepared???) but can't really seem to logically think about it. So I want to know...WHY is it "bad" to "race" a horse (who of course is in shape and been conditioned to do so by their rider and is being raced with a "plan"...just like any 50/100er) over 25-35 miles, which is much shorter and less stressful on a horse. Why is it then not only "ok", but even praised (with nice prizes like statues and blankets and such) to "race" longer distances like 50, or even "worse", 100 miles? Those distances, no matter how in shape the horse, is more taxing (and thus more "risky") on a horse to race than a "mere" 25 miles.... And don't tell me that we shouldn't race an LD cause there are ppl with young horses riding in it that want to not be upset/disturbed by "racing" LDs running by them, etc....there are just as many ppl riding slow, easy 50's with a new/young/bumping up horse in the back of a 50 or 100. A horse needs to learn to deal with the commotion of a ride at all distances. I will be using both LDs and 50s as "training" rides for this young horse, depending on what stage of training she is in. So to tell me LDs are only training rides (I am sure, back when there were only 100's and 50's popped up, THEY were the "LD" training rides, and only 100's were "real" endurance...) is not going to cut it. If I have a fit horse and feel like racing a 25 (because my own body can't do 50's, or heck, maybe I want to be done in time for tea and am tired of coming in with only  the last dredges of a dinner left after my slow 50's, whatever....), I should be allowed to do that. Horses break down on the track running less than 5 miles...less than a mile if you consider QHs...racing is racing, over 1, 25, 50, or 100 miles (or 250 if you do MDs) Bad riding on unconditioned or tired or injured or whatever horses happens at ALL speeds (in fact, pull rates are no greater for LDs than other distances according to statistics and hit both experienced and novice riders).
Good riding and racing on well conditioned horses ALSO happens at all speeds. Let people enjoy the sport at all levels and quit being so stuffy about LDs...I bet you that your elders were stuffy about 50's not being endurance too and you having to fight for it back in the "good old days" (which every generation thinks their days were the good ones)when only 100s were true endurance..
   Natalie (M33026)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.... 'Wow! What a ride!' "

Climb to the top of the charts!? Play Star Shuffle:? the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now!