[RC] [RC] LD is the ruination of endurance??! - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ok....I think I see something here that we are missing.  I understand
your problem.  Even though I am not an LD rider, I did have to take
about a 2-3 year off session because my hubby would NOT keep our child for
me to ride for one stinking hour.  Yes, that is STILL a sore spot.
  Since he farms and would keep him brother's boys when they were little.
  Now, you all know why I only had one kid for him.

  Anyway.  Here's the deal.  You are saying that you can't condition a
horse for more than LD rides.  That's ok.  BUT, if your horse is able
to do a couple LD's....then he CAN do a slow 50.   I don't condition any
more than most LD riders I know, probably less...and my horses do
50's.  True most are seasoned horses...so that is very different.  But, I
do start new ones along every so often.  Booger will do his first 50 the
end of Nov.  He has had very little riding,
  since it is dark now when I get home, so he is only getting ridden on
the weekends since the time changed.  He will do two 25 mile
conditioning rides before the 50.  And that 50 will have to be SLOW for him to
finish.  But the point is, a horse that can do LD's, can step up and do
50's.  There really isn't all that much riding that has to be done.
  Once they do a 50, heck, very little riding....maybe less than what you
are doing now will keep them in shape.

  It isn't impossible IF you are able to do LD rides now.

  Jody