[RC] The Tourist - Evelyn Allen

" I call her the Tourist, because EVERYTHING is of interest
to  her, which would not be troublesome since she is not a spook - until she..."

I was so amused to read your post, because I have been riding a gelding who also frustrated me due to his "hey, lets take a look around and see what else is going on...whatever..." attitude.  Like your horse, he would lose his focus and then sometimes mis-step.  I found it quite annoying and having to keep him focused throughout a whole ride became tiring.  One thing we did that I felt had a positive effect was to add a supplement to his feed.  We started with a product called "Fast Trak" and then switched to Buckeye's Gro'n'Win and Ultimate 40 (or something like that - can't remember the exact name).  There was a noticeable difference in his concentration and ability to stay focused.  You may want to look at your horse's feed/supplementation and see if a change will make a difference.  It's worth a try anyway.  I also did exercises during training rides where he was made to switch tasks alot (ie: working trot 20 feet, slow trot 10 feet, stop, turn, back five steps, trot ten...).  I found that very effective as well.