Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] Ridecamp is awesome! - Truman Prevatt

Such things as riding for competition only is simple for members. It is only a database issue. Even if they get an award at a ride - the ride goes for competition only when it hits the database. With day members it's not that easy - however if day members are eligible for competition only it becomes easy since the RM knows the day members - they don't have an AERC card. If someone shows up to a ride bound and determined to win the sucker and win at any cost - it won't really matter that he only gets a competition - all that will matter is he beat every other rider that day. Protest should be filed against such people and they should be sanctioned like any rider and their names distributed to ride managers - and listed on the AERC web page.

You really can not legislate responsibility - however, you can put sanctions in place to insure that there is a price to be paid for irresponsibility especially if a horse suffers. That is fairly simple for a member - it again is a database issue. Bottom line the welfare of our horses are worth the effort. It is the least we can do for them.

I think we have made strides in the education end - at least in the SE we have and I think it is true elsewhere. There is only so much education can do to those that don't want to be educated. It's time to look to supplement our tools to protect our horses and a big hammer should be part of the tool box.

Truman

SandyDSA@xxxxxxx wrote:
My husband and I - suffering from latent effects of true influenza apparently - talked about it and had the idea that perhaps the first five or so LD rides should be for completion only as should then the first say three 50 milers. Simple, across the board and may well separate the troublesome from the real learners. Pulls do not count toward the total needed to ride for points or TT or BC. One must complete 5 LD before moving up to 50 milers. and complete those before earning points or positions. Doesn't stop anyone from riding but certainly limits motivation for abuse.
*Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com*

See what's new at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001170> and Make AOL Your Homepage <http://www.aol.com/mksplash.adp?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001169>.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics