Re: [RC] Abuse - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Truman,

   I agree that we need someway to prevent abuse when it is coming from "seasoned" riders.  We have seen time and time again that this is a problem.  I feel like  AERC is
afraid of law suits, and there may be a just reason for concern.  We here in the SE have done TONS to try and educate the new riders.  It works.  The problem is that most of these cases are NOT new riders.  So, (and I'm not trying to argue with anyone here) what can we do, that would charge these repeat offenders that are AERC members, they are seasoned riders, riding seasoned, competitive horses into the ground repeatedly????   I suppose that RM's could ban them from their rides, but again, this doesn't happen every time they ride....maybe just once a year or so. RM's need those entries.   Is there a way to have something in place, that doesn't penalize the rest of AERC, that when "crap happens" to their horse they are not having sanctions against them?  And crap does happen to ALL of us if in this sport long enough.  You roll the dice every time you enter a ride, and sometimes it comes up snake eyes.

Jody

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bottom line IMO the HWC is has been a failure in meeting it's mission
which is were we will have to agree to disagree. The only remedy I see
is to abolish the HWC and set up some other mechanism to deal with
potential abuse issue. It is clear to me that the actions of the HWC are
not having any impact on preventing these types of issues.