From: Lauren Horn <4horn4@xxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 6:42 pm
Subject: RE: [RC]   Mariposa Protest filing results in EN

Don't be so harsh to judge, and I'm not condoning anyone's behavior. Just keep in mind that an over ridden horse can happen to anyone (or maybe I should say a dehydrated horse). It happens to experienced riders and newbies.

I used to brag that I never saw a horse treated at a NATRC ride, but it eventually happened and it happened to a gal that I brought and recruited. We rode in separate divisions and I explained everything I could but a brain can only absorb so much information at a time and lack of knowledge and ignorance played a part. Never did this rider willfully or willingly ride her horse to cause harm. But she did and didn't even know it as the horse was forward and wanting to go. No body knew it until the end of the ride when she went to take the saddle off. It took 6 people to keep the horse standing. The ride vet was worthless as she flew in from out of state and didn't have a medical kit and the emergency vet on call was on an emergency and couldn't come to the ride camp. It took hours but we finally got a vet to come and give fluids. I felt so bad as I was the one to encourage this person to come to the ride. I told her about conditioning and training but she thought her horse was in better shape then it really was. Is that criminal? I would say it was ignorant.

I also have had two horses treated with fliuds....one ridden by a junior with a very experienced sponsor and one with my husband riding. Everyone went slow and everyone was experienced. It was hot, the horses had heavy coats, there was not a lot of water on the trail and the trail was tough. Unfortunately this happens to even the best intentioned riders.

If AERC really wants to prevent this type of thing from happening then they should require all first time riders to take a class or ride NATRC for a while. This particular gal got confused with the timing and thought she was behind time and had to play catch up when in fact, if she just rode the correct timing she probably would have been fine. Yes, even with safeguards and rules in place it can still happen. So, what I'm saying is stop the witch hunt.

Lauren