Re: [RC] RE:Susan G.'s response to what's in YOUR Mash? - Truman Prevatt

Hi Keith,

I never noticed any difference in attitude between the two. Given the price - XTN was less expensive. I'm not sure that the local feed store still carries Ultium. I haven't seen it in awhile.

Truman

Keith Kibler wrote:
Truman,
We have used both of them too. We settled on the Ultium as the calming effect was really pretty dramatic.
Keith
Truman Prevatt wrote:
I did a bit of an experiment between Ultium and XTN when Ultium came out. They are fairly close - except Ultium is pelleted and XTN is a textured feed. I found that I needed to feed more Ultium than XTN to maintain the same weight. Since Ultium cost more - that didn't seem to make sense.

I went back to the XTN.

Truman

Keith Kibler wrote:
Ultium is wonderful stuff imho. My main horse was a bit of "cross wired" when I bought him 2 1/2 years ago. He would do stuff like jump over things with the rider or between the trailer and truck connection and then go for a high speed run out. You know, stuff like that. Then when stalled, he would constantly hop. When seperated from "his" mares, he would run the fence line.
Ultium was like horsey prozak. In trying to figure it out, I was told that ultium is partially digested in each stomach which somehow calms them. Can anyone explain that? Dr Susan, beet pulp in ultium? I did not know that. So, you use it AND beet pulp and beet pulp in your mash too?
Keith
Shawnee Sunrise Farm
Marion IL

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics