Re: [RC] cross breds - Elizabeth Chase

LOL, I think of them as having a refined sense of rectitude. One cannot jerk
around on a Teke and give them a no! no! no! or yell at them.... They respond
well to yes, that's what I want...... positive reinforcement (not treats, I
mean the release that teaches) .... stimulate their brain, play fair,  and
their heart will follow. And it's a different mindset for many folks, thinking
in a different pattern, and staying creatively ahead of them.

The thing that I've been working with Delphi on is to channel her tendency to
be emotional and bracey.... burning up energy that she needs to save for
getting down the road. She's learning to trust that I have her safety in mind,
so now we have to get into the litmus test of a bunch of horses and all that
adrenaline in the air at a ride.

Tekes also do better when whatever you're doing with them has a purpose....
lunging ain't it......  but Delphi will back trough a space 2 feet wide and 20
feet long, in the dark for me (I'm at the other end of a 22 foot line) and not
rush back. Dogs can bound up to her for a sniff and greet, get their paws up on
her side to get tall enough, and she's ready to 'pretend she's a dog'....  on
the other hand... milk and logging trucks caroeming down a narrow road get us
really nervous, 'y'know.....

I'd like to see the stud with another 100 pounds on him; the Russian stud likes
to keep them light in weight, which is the tradition.....  I like the middle
ground ... don't care for them all fed up like some of the quarter horses I
see.... rippling when they walk.

If your mare is bay, you may get a golden buckskin. Check out the lineage for
any line-backed traits on both sides. Delphi's sire was a Golden Buckskin, her
dam chestnut, and she is a red-gold line-backed bay.... with a dorsal stripe
that lands her officially in the darker end of the GB color.

Let us know what you decide and keep us posted...

Liz
MN
--- CTH <seamstob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a chance to breed to a Akhal Teke imported from Russia that is really
sweet. He has an amazing disposition as do the 2 imported mares.
I visited them this weekend and was quite impressed. They are going to be
boarded less then an hour from my home.
The story of how the owner managed to get them out of Russia is very
interesting. She studied older photos, did tons of research and then located
horses of a very high standard. This is great news for the NA breediers I
would think because these horses are rare so this is a chance to add to the
gene pool.
The stallion will be standing at Birchwood Farms in Alberta.
It is so close and I have a brood mare that I have been offered to lease so I
am seriously thinking of doing this for a future endurance horse.
Watching them move arround the pasture gave me goosebumps. I know very little
about the breed but WOW can they move out nice.
http://www.stewartclan.ca/akhal-teke/2007/06/29/stud/  for pictures of the
stud.
As far as being difficult , stubborn and not easy to work with sounds just
like my horse Sidney and I love him. Heck somedays it sounds like me.
I like the idea that they bond strong with thier rider. Maybe he will wait
for me when I get dumped. That alone is worth the stud fee:-)
Paddi Sprecher
www.CanadianTrailHouse.com