RE: [RC] Heaters in trailers - David LeBlanc

Susan said:

All I know is that the carbon monoxide "sniffers" in RVs are always (at
least in mine) located way down low right next to the floor.

Bad thing to make a guess about and find out you were incorrect in your
estimate.

P.S. We (I suppose) could run the furnace at night in our motorhome on
battery (never tried it all night) [snip]

Our CO detector is at bed level, which is in the nose. With a very small
difference in density, CO will get mixed from convection. For example, water
is a lot lighter than air, and wet air is less dense than dry air (which is
important for pilots to know), but you don't see the top of the trailer
being less humid than the bottom. Propane is about twice as dense as air,
which is why it will accumulate near the floor first and why that detector
should always be found near the floor. Even so, gasses still mix.

We run our heater on battery all night regularly. It gets cold up here in
the NW, especially with a little altitude. Being a Florida native, I'm
really wimpy about cold. It even ran all night just fine when we had one
battery - does better now we have 2. We only run our quiet Honda generator
during the day and early evening, and we have heat all night. With 2
batteries, we can sometimes go all weekend without the generator, and
without freezing. I dunno what all these people are doing to need a
generator all night, but I'm glad I'm not parked next to them, either. Once
I get solar hooked up, I'll probably need the generator a lot less.

Those little Honda generators are nice - you probably wouldn't even notice
ours unless you were in a tent next to the trailer. You can stand next to it
and have a normal conversation without raising your voice. Even so, it
always goes off before 9.