Re: [RC] Heaters in trailers - Truman Prevatt

That's why CO2 alarms are put into most LQ's these days. If you are going to leave a heater on - it should vent to the outside. As far as sleeping bags - there are a lot of factors. Type of bag being one. The mummy bag is the best for cold weather for a couple of reasons. First it rapidly traps you body heat because there is not a lot of air space to heat in the sucker. Second, it keeps heat from escaping from the top of your head. 40% of the heat escapes from the top of your head. So if you are cold in your sleeping bag, put on a sock cap. You can get bag liners that will help in cold weather - a fleece bag that goes inside the bag. High quality down is more expensive but by far the best material.

If you want a cold weather bag you can get a high altitude mountaineering bag that will take you down to about -40 F or C take your pick.

I bought a good bag in 1976 and have been using it ever since. I has gone on many backpacking trips in the Rockies and the Smokies spring, summer, fall and winter. It's now in the trailer and is part the only is what I sleep in. It will still be around when I'm six feet under.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I thought surely somebody would jump on this. The original story I read about the family of 4 that died at the horse show last week said they *did* have a roof vent open, but stated that the CO2 doesn't necessarily rise or something. Moral was, opening a vent is not a guarantee you'll wake up in the morning. An elderly couple who went to lots of trail rides in the Chattanooga area died a few years ago in their camper. I'll bet they knew enough to have a window cracked too.

One thing that might help campers is understanding the ratings on sleeping bags. When a sleeping bag says it is rated down to 38 degrees that simply means you will not DIE at 38 degrees, but you won't sleep either! If you're camping in 30 degree weather buy a sub-zero sleeping bag. I don't' know what you buy if you're camping in sub-zero...I guess more dogs and a comforter or two!

Angie

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics