Re: [RC] Recognition of offspring - Barbara McCrary

Once when Lud and I were at the starting line of Tevis in Squaw Valley and they were still starting riders in groups of 10 (I think it was), a horse next to me started nickering to Lud's horse. The rider was Donna Fitzgerald, her horse was a Hyannis horse, as was Lud's, and they were half-brothers. Their recognition of relatives, or former pasture mates, is quite amazing.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ranelle Rubin" <raneller@xxxxxxx>
To: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 7:12 AM
Subject: [RC] Recognition of offspring

Last February, Ann Hall and I overnighted at Cheri Brisco's ranch, Misty Mountain Farms, on our way to my first Duck Ride..Eastern Mojave.

My 8 yr old gelding MMF Felarof (Fellow) was born there. He left there as a weanling, at age 6 or 7 months. When I unloaded him, he took a deep breath as he looked around..IN THE DARK...and immediately stared whinnying.

Cheri had me put him in a large paddock that bordered the mare pasture. His mother was in with all the other broodmares. He immediately ran up to the fence and within SECONDS, he and his mom were nose to nose..little nickers coming from them both. All the other mares took a step back, as she turned her head and pinned her ears at them. She is the oldest mare in the herd, at 23.

I woke during the night, and went out to check on him. They were nose to tail against the fence. When I loaded him in the morning to go to the ride, he kept looking over his shoulder back at her with soft nickers...as if to say, I am a big boy now!

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx