RE: [RC] fascinating/Ruffian - Chastain, Shannon L.

This was not a tribute to racing in my opinion actually it showed that "they" killed a great horse to bring people back to the race track. One vet even made the comment in the movie We have teenage horses out there running 36 miles an hour this is what you get. Her trainer did not want the match race to happen he knew the filly's heart and he knew she would run herself into the ground to win. He did his best to stop it, he even considered not being her trainer but figured that would make it even harder on her. He did stop them from starting the race in the corner of the track.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cindy Collins
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:14 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] fascinating/Ruffian

I find it fascinating that we cry in outrage when an endurance rider overrides his/her horse to the point of exhaustion, colic, death, breakdown, etc...for points or a trophy...BUT, ridecamp spends lots of time glorifying Barbados or Ruffian (a truly great filly) without mentioning that they are victims of a sport that races 2 and 3 year olds and breaks them down more often than not.  What we're rightly worshipping is the great spirit and heart of the TB.  Yet, by watching these tributes, we're inadvertently condoning the industry that takes advantage of their heart to make a buck without allowing them to fully mature.  Just a thought...

Cindy Collins