[RC] Cloning - Smith, Dave

“Unfortunately, the high cost of cloning may NOT mean that the best PERFORMANCE traits are passed on, but rather the traits of where the most money is at, which for many US breeds tends to be the show ring.”

I would be the last to deny that money and show ring traits won’t be used to determine which horses to clone.  But how does that differ from “traditional” breeding.  Show ring traits have been and likely will remain a major selecting factor, regardless of how the offspring is produced.  On the other hand, performance on the track or trail will also be a selecting factor.  Consider our own sport of endurance.  You have a gelded colt that begins his endurance career at age four or five.  You compete and win with him for say, five seasons and decide he would be a great sire.  But he’s gelded.  Without cloning, he will never sire an offspring.  With cloning, you can duplicate his genetics by taking DNA from his hair or blood.  With this technology, top performing horses (geldings) can now contribute to the gene pool.  Thus the entire breed can benefit.