[RC] proven stallions - cwalker310

Being the weekend, and not at a ride myself, I had a moment to to
take a look at the current posts on the ridecamp archives.  I was
interested in the thread on proven endurance stallions.  Being the
owner and rider of one of those stallions, of which might fall under
the category of having a "mixed bag" pedigree, I beg to differ on the
theory that one must breed only a specific strain of Arabian to
produce a superior endurance athlete.  Now, one of the comments that
came up in your posts was temperament.  I would first like to state
the most honory, temperamental horse I have ridden would be my
gelding, DML Smoke Silver, who was a very successful endurance horse,
having won the 99 Pan Ams individual and  team Gold medals, and
finished 11th at the World Endurance Championships in France, in
2000.  I could write a book on the injuries I suffered as a result of
training and competing that horse for the past  16 years.  He wa s a
line bred, primarily Crabbett Arabian.  What was his temperament
problem?  Shear will, drive and determination.  The very same traits
you will see in winning TB's.  The very same traits one would see in
superior human athletes.  Every spent any time with an ultra-marathon
runner that is over-do for a good run?  They tend to have a need for
intense exercise,  and are never going to win the Mrs. or Mr.
congeniality contest, or be deemed most cooperative.  God forbid they
are layed up with an injury, because it isn't going to be fun for
their care givers.  So, you may want to forgive a little "attitude",
if you want to ride a horse that will put in his/her best effort when
the going gets tough, the hills seem endless, and the miles get
long.  You will appreciate it then!

The second point I want to make is some of us breed for performance,
as well as blood lines.  My stallion VSF Otis+/ is an A nglo Arabian
that has a very nice performance record.  And yes, those of you who
only look at the names on the pedigree, might not be familiar with
their achievements.  His Arabian side is a Polish/Crabbett mix with
some Egyptian, and there are some Harris, and Davenport lines.Otis'
dam, RB Baskiba was a fantastic ECTRA horse having successfully
competed at all distances and winning countless Championships,
competing over 2000 miles, and then finishing her career as a
combined driving horse.

I loved that mare for her wonderful no nonsense demeanor, and the
fact that she retired clean legged.  She has a half sister who has
produced a phenomenal multi champion 3-day 100 mile (CTR) horse.
Otis' sire, Theodore also sired Con, the little horse that just won
the individual and team Gold medals at the 2007 3-day Pan Ams.
Ridden by Karen O'Connor, he may very well be the eventing horse
associations "Horse of the Year"  Theodore was sired by Anticipating
who sire a mare that won the Maryland Hunt Cup, a very prestigious
steeple chase award.

Both sides of Theodore's (jockey club name, Witty Boy), pedigree go
back to Count Fleet, who many admirable horseman admire, including
Matthew Macleay Smith, who competed horses from those lines.  That
line was known to produce horses with stamina, and longevity.  And,
well, Bold Ruler was Theodore's grand sire.  Geez, he didn't produce
anything special, did he?  I could go on and on about the other half
siblings'accomplishments in numerous disciplines,competing through
the FEI level.

My point is that I just want to say that there are other approaches
to producing a great endurance athlete that also work.

And yes, Otis fits into the category of being young to have produced
many horses old enough to campaign, he does have a very special
daughter, Picabo Street, who is definitely carrying on his traits.
At 7 she has now 8 top tens, including a 2nd at the Pine Tree 100,
and a 2nd at the Moonlight 75 in Vermont.   She has the"can do"
attitude common to her lines, at only 14.2, (her dam was a 14 hand
1/2 Arab pony mare)she carries 180 pounds of rider and tack happily.

Connie Walker