[RC] standards in breeding - Donna Deyoung

<<<  Speaking ONLY for myself, I have a problem with the concept that a breeding
animal is too valuable just making more babies to first or concurrently prove
themselves in high-end performance BEFORE putting them into a breeding shed. ... I personally would not consider breeding to any stallion that had not
thoroughly proven himself in upper echelon performance---endurance, jumping,
eventing, third-level or better dressage at the national level, etc.  >>>

I posted the part about the fact you won't see my Andalusian broodmares doing endurance --- never said you wouldn't see them out there competing. or that they hadn't proven themselves. I don't breed for endurance horses - I breed to preserve the qualities of the Pure Spanish horse.  It's a specialty. If I were selling endurance prospects from them, of course they should be proven in endurance. But I am selling pure spanish foals - and their mothers are proven/judged by Spaniards and have done well.

As for breeding to a proven stallion. There is a shortage of qualified Spanish stallions in the U.S. Proven in performance does not mean they are "typey" or have correct conformation for the preservation breeder.  A Spanish stallion could be #1 in everything in the U.S. but if his crest falls over or he has a dished face - that's a big no no - even if it doesn't affect his performance. So it's not as easy as going by performance records. Also, alot of people get a love for the Spanish horse and have the $$ to import one, but perhaps they are not big time into dressage...or showing...so the horse does not get out there, but he may be the "best" bet for your mare. Someone else could have access to trainers, $$ to travel/show, and the horse could be winning but not be good for your mare. This could apply to selection for breeding the endurance horse as well.

A good judge of horseflesh does not and cannot rely on U.S. performance records for rare breeds from overseas. Sure, it helps, especially w/ marketing your foals and if you want to sell for the U.S. show market (often judged by Americans). But its not the only thing you go by.

I assume it is the same with Arabians, to breed a purebred to the standards of the mother country is a very specialized area. I enjoy breeding my mares and seeing their very nice offspring be successful in the US. I also value the opinions of the Spanish breeders just like some warmblood breeders value the European standards.

Donna DeYoung Spanishvisionfarm.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=