[RC] Equine Influenza in Australia - Kat - Jay Randle

Jay Randle said:

The government is limiting vaccinations to the race horses
and the TB breeding stock, and certain other "high-value"
horses such as police horses, entertainment horses,
Olympic horses, etc.

Kat said:

I confess I am slightly confused by this statement.  I would think that
Olympic horses would already be vaccinated for Equine Influenza since it
is a requirement of having and maintaining and FEI passport (or is that
requirement waived for Australian horses)?

Hi Kat

Yes, it's true that our Olympic horses were already vaccinated for EI if they had previously departed Australia for competition overseas.
The vaccination used in that situation would have been the 'killed' virus, or Duvaxyn (as it is called here).

However, for any horses on the Olympic squad who have not as yet competed overseas, there would have
been no previous reason for them to have been vaccinated.

The vaccination that is being used in the current situation is a GM product, or 'live' virus, based on Canary Pox.
So all of the "high-value" horses are now getting it, in addition to any previous vaccination they may have had.

The general populace is not allowed to purchase either kind of vaccination.

Best regards

Jay Randle
SPLENDACREST ENDURANCE TRAINING
www.freewebs.com/splendacrest

Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au. It's simple!