Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:43 AM
Subject: [RC] Endurance "bred"

> On the contrary, the endurance horse IS the original "typical" Arab (as you point out with the "good old dawgs") and are not merely "culls" from halter breeding. The best endurance prospects tend to come from programs that never did buy into the fads of the halter ring, and who stayed true to "using breeding" through it all.

***This is also true in the Appaloosa and Tennessee Walker breeds, not just the Arabian breeds.  My horses come from the old bloodlines, from breeders that didn't fall into the fad of the decade.  The horses are small, wiry and tough and have tons of work ethic.

> The majority of endurance horses today weren't bred specifically for endurance.

***At our barn, we are a minority (chuckle) and *DO* specifically breed for endurance.  These horses are actually well suited for many disciplines which require agility, athletic ability and stamina - versatility horses -  and for a couple years now, the horses we've bred for distance are competing distance and doing exactly what I felt they should do.

Dodie