[RC] Rails to Trails/racing - jeanne pepper

In 2004 ,Oregon Outback 5 day was held using a lot of  "rails to trails" during the 255 mile trek in southern Oregon.The ride itself was well managed ,the 2 camps were beautiful,great volunteers,good meals each night & challenging weather conditions.But ,I gotta say,I did not like riding on the converted railroad tracks.For one thing,the footing was horrible,red cinders over large,sharp rocks on raised track with steep sides (no way to get off the rock by riding along side) and one day we had 15 miles of straight,flat track/trail to cover without a break.Most horses had pads or easyboots on but mine had neither & though he stayed sound on the 4 days we finished,he wore his shoes thin & smooth & his hooves looked like they'd been buffed & sanded.I enjoyed the ride but would never want to "race" over that footing again .I'd suggest that anyone planning to cover alot of converted rail/trail miles should plan to use easy boots to protect their horse's feet.