[RC] Mouth Conformation & Race Brain - Bagwell, Theresa

<<I think the problem is his basic mouth conformation - he looks like

he has a big tongue (it bulges out past his teeth when his mouth is

closed) rather than lying nicely inside the space of the jaw. I can

see him having trouble getting it pinched between his teeth and a bit.

I can attribute some of his behavior (head tossing) to pain from the

bit (somewhat - he will also toss his head with a hackamore...), but

not the competitiveness -- that only shows up on race day, or with

another competitive horse.

I'm going to try riding him on trail in a hackamore again, at least

until his mouth heals up and I find another bit to try. >>

I worked with a mare who would toss her head and brace with her neck quite a bit and one of my friends bought her and had her teeth floated, tried several bits, etc.   She noticed at the last ride that the mare has a funny shaped place in the middle of her tongue and we think the bit no matter what it is aggrevates her. She finally just recently discovered that the mare goes beautifully in a Dr. Cook's bitless bridle but you still have control and brakes!!! She will be doing a ride next weekend in the bitless for the first time.  :)

Theresa Bagwell
Accounting

Tel: (864)679-3046
Fax: (864)271-0555
E-mail: TheresaBagwell@xxxxxxx
WWW.TPM.COM

1003 Laurens Road
Greenville, SC 29607

Confidentiality Statement: All information in this Communication, including attachments, is strictly confidential and intended solely for delivery to and authorized use by the addressee(s) identified above and may contain privileged, confidential, proprietary and/or trade secret information entitled to protection and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please take notice that any use, distribution or copying of this Communication, and/or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance upon it, is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this Communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this Communication from your computer.