Re: [RC] [RC] Silly horse update - Maryanne Gabbani

Try dark molasses. That will kill the taste of anything. Good luck.

Maryanne

On 10/11/07, ladurgin@xxxxxxx < ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks everyone. I found silly horse, Scout lame this morning. Swollen around the  gash a good  8" diamenter which made the gash gape open  a good 1" inch wide-- (and I didn't get sick when I looked at it  so after talking with my daughter again--called the vet. I got one of the  young,newer ones (there are 4 now) but seemed bright, except when he bent over to pick up his bucket within 4 feet of my horses  back end. I said  "you realise you are within kicking range "? (I did  tell him, Scout was gentle, but hasn't had the groundwork  the others have had and is weak on manners. Now I  can do that around mine, but I always  let the horse know I am there and usually make them move or have a hand on them.
   We tranq.'ed him and still had him dancing a bit while he cleaned and  checked to make sure debris wasn't in the wound. Got a Penn. shot and some  antibiotics to give him and I will hose with  water daily as much as I can. He said It was on the joint,  it could have been stitched (but it was about 18 hours after the  gash when he got here.) I didn't see how you could stitch there and it not  pop open....
    Anyway he said he'd heal faster if his movement was limited, so while I stalled him and Rascal for company  as the 4 horses and  occasionally a bray from the donkey hollered at each other  when ever the others   went out of sight--- son #2 and I  made a 50 by 50  electric rope fence  connected to the  3 stalls.  They are used to being out 24/7 with  matted stall access if they choose. And I couldn't see locking him  up in a 10X12 stall (he is  16 hands), serious buddy sour and he'd paw the door-- anc probably eat a hole in the wall. Actually while there for a couple hours  they both started chewing on the stall doors. Scout knows how to open latches as  does my mare and Rascal  knows they can open them, so  he set about to  bite something open too. More restaining for me. Last barn had  hardware cloth on the  doors.  I  switched R. for the Old  tb  for company as I have to feed him 2X a day to keep his weight up and he is #1 horse and the quietest . But boy will there be alot of fertilizer bwtween the 2.
    Fun part will be getting him to  let me hose him again, he got very distrustful of me and anything in my hand after we squirted with the turkey baster  the betadine  solution.Made it harder to even fly spray him>I had to go out and  give carrots and just brush him , but he is suspisious of containers now.  More carrot work .......
   If I  do things in small doses, with  familiar things in between like  brushing or  rubbing, he relaxes. And I had just gotten him where I  could hose him without  dancing circles.
   Hoping this silly fall won't cause any serious damage. I guess the bigger they are the harder they fall. Old horse Champ took a fall in a pasture  that was the start of his synovial  tear in his knee--which looks like a ballon and has arthritis  now,even after treated years ago .
   And have to figure out how to get him to take 10 pills @x a day.I will crush and put them in water and try to get him to eat it in a beetpulp mix. Otherwise I may have to syringe.hah----- maybe in yogurt or applesauce.....played that game with  R. before

--
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx

Egypt Face to Face