Re: [RC] Arab/Hackney cross - jamie ward

Hackney's come in pony and full sized, We have a 12'2 hand Hackney pony we picked him up this may his owner's could not handle him they had got him as a rescue and could ride him but little else,We picked Twilight (who we have nicked named mighty mouse) up and  our 12 yr old and I started working with him within a month we could do anything with him. Although we had hoped to turn him into a pony for our kid's to learn on till they were ready for a "big" horse we quickly saw he would make a great endurance pony he has done 2 LD rides one of them were over time but that was due to my daughter who was riding him he vetted threw all A's  even at the last vet check and was wanting to still go.His second ride was this last weekend in our regions toughest ride, Limestone challenge we made it in 20 min before the cut off due to getting lost a few time's so our 30 miler was more like 35+ mile's he never quit he went right up the longest/steepest trail I have seen ( known as the hell hill ) with my friends daughter no problem while me and the others that we were with  got off and walked it. He vetted in with A's once again although their were 2 A-. ...... Sorry about the story but though id give you my experience with the breed.From what we have seen/read they have nice bone, gaited?,cool temperament with a good mind (NOTHING has spooked our guy on the trail not car's, stuff running in front of him gun's etc) although they can be stubborn they have allot of heart ,good jumper's (our guy loves jumping) High leg action that looks really nice at trot outs.and our guy picked up the extended trot right away. We have never had to wait up for him like we expected we would due to his size half the time he's in lead It's great watching him pass big horses with his fast trot . he picks his way right threw rock's.  He does take a few min longer to pulse down but i do not know if that is due to the breed or his being a pony as i have heard it might be both reason's. I have heard most of this stuff is true about the breed in general. If it were me i would defiantly pick up a Hackney/Arab!
Jamie

Heidi Vanderbilt <luckypupranch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Arabian/Hackney crosses? I thought Hackneys were small, but this mare is BIG, much bigger than her dam. What does the hackney add to the mix?

Heidi

Heidi Vanderbilt
LuckyPup Ranch
12000 S Wrong Mountain Road
Benson, AZ   85602
520-586-7903

www.luckypupranch.com

Ask me about Custom made rump warmer's, Any size,color/print you could think of and a great choice of fabrics all come with a warrantee and a guarantee !  For a limited time each come with a free "surprise" thank you gift. e-mail me or call me (541)761-9837 for more info

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely!  Life is an adventure which should bring you  skidding into Heaven's gates, totally worn out, scuffed up and bleeding, yelling, "Whoo Hoo, what a ride