Re: [RC] [RC] CTRs vs. AERC long, and slight rant - Sluys Guys

I like what Jonni had to say. As a long time NATRC rider who is now doing endurance I enjoy both sports for different reasons. They both have their challenges.My horse Blue seems to totally know the difference between them. NATRC is not a wimpy sport as some may think at least not in Region 5 (the east coast but mostly in the SE) Your horse has to be fit and ready to go 2 days in a row. The terrain is pretty tough most on the time in region 5 except in Florida. I actually find that one day 50 mile endurance rides are easier than a 2 day Open NATRC ride. Also, the NATRC miles per hour are a bit deceiving as I have discovered. I know what a 5-6 mile an hour pace feels like in NATRC but that includes all the times you are stopped on the trail for obstacles and vet checks ( p&rs are included in your ride time). A few weeks ago I did an AHA regional championship ride in Ohio which did not have any stops on the trail at all and was paced at 6mph. I rode the pace I was accustomed to and after the first loop I was so far ahead that I walked most of the second loop that day. It was a big eye opener as to how much time you lose on the trail when being asked to stop by the judges. After all when you are stopped that is 0mph. The next day I rode more conservatively and finished the ride in the optimum time. My overall pace that day was slower feeling than most Open NATRC rides that I have done. By my calculations an average NATRC ride paced at 4.75-5mph is actually more like 7mph by the time you figure in all the stopping which would be a middle of the pack finish in endurance. .
This past season I have done 2 55 mile endurance rides, 3 NATRC Open rides and an AHA regional championship. Blue was able to transition easily from one to another. He figured out right away that if he was wearing the number he gets to go really fast and if I was wearing the number he has to behave :-).
I think that the reason that he can do this is all the slower, disciplined miles that we did in NATRC, he is very well trained.
I am now starting a 3 year old Zane Grey filly that I want to eventually do endurance on but you can be sure that I will start her in NATRC for the great foundation that it will build.
See you on the trail (NATRC & AERC!)

PS....In Region 5 NATRC we smile a lot!!!!!!!!!

"Happy trails to you, until we meet again!"
             (Roy Rogers & Dale Evans)
                                           _\/
                                        O O

              ,--/