RE: [RC] NATRC is not endurance - Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS

I do believe there is some 'equine endurance' required in Competitive
trail riding, as in NATRC CTR.  But our judges also look at a horses
ability to open gates, back in situations, be manageable and not spook.
Our rides can be paced at 3.5 mph and no more than 6 mph and can be as
short as 15 miles on a one day or as long as 60 miles over 2 days, no
longer than 40 in any one day.  Most of our rides are 2 day rides over
40-60miles.  We are not allowed 'crew'.  We are judged in our
horsemanship as to how well we manage all aspects of our horses care
over the weekend.

I have little desire to ride endurance, unless I have no CTR available
close by and want to test and condition my horse some for the next CTR.

So to me NATRC/ctr and AERC/endurance are like comparing the working cow
horse to a western pleasure show horse.  We may use the same saddle but
very few horses and people even desire to cross over regularly, there
are more horses suited to one or the other that are not suited to both.
NATRC CTR is less than 50% Arabian or Arabian related horses.   A lot of
gaited horses succeed at the top of CTR.  The last several years the
'president's cup winner in NATRC has been gaited, it's been over 10
years since an Arabian has held that title.