[RC] Fw: appaloosa endurance horses-CK - Jan Kennedy

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 9:52 PM
Subject: appaloosa endurance horses-CK

I started the sport in 1977 and have always ridden appys... 7 bronze medallions,Chief Joseph Award.I picked lean leggy horses with spots for my distance horses.All were registered.Did this make them a better horse?Nope...HEART did!!And attitude.I have a mare right now that is bay with a blanket and has all the heart in the world...she is reg 1/2 Arab but not appy so couldn't compete her for any app awards.She has lots of attitude to go with it.Would I have her spayed just to be eligible to ride her as a reg. appaloosa?Nope not even if I did have the $$ to do it.I am not a member of ApHC and haven't been for a few yrs...I still believe in the appaloosa as a distance horse.My mare Rugged's Lacy B won the ApHC national Ride in 1988 in Palmyra, Wisconsin(competitive)Endurance division was also held so I have to wonder about this ride this yr being called the '2nd Annual ApHC National Endurance Ride'.Their was about the same amount of appys competing back then as there is now.
Great to hear from you,Cindy.I remember all the horses you rode here in MI.And you rode the same ride I did for my first ever distance ride...the Aham ride in 1977 Hardy Camp near Mio.Always liked your apps;))
Appy Trails
Jan Mills Kennedy in MI
"Miles To Go Before I Sleep"