Re: [RC] Cold shoulder? - Lynne Glazer

I'm another that doubts the "clique" thing--seems as if we're hearing from all regions. Before someone says..."you only ride Arabs", yeah I started on them in Idaho (hi, Bob) because my horses at the time here in CA were too young or too old--mine were both TWH and I'd planned to compete on the younger one, but sadly lost her to an accident at 5. Replaced her with a 2 year old Arab, so instead of my own, I conditioned and competed a friend's mule in LDs.

Since it was pre-96 it doesn't show in the records. He was a foxtrotter, and about 13.2hh. Our first ride was at 20 Mule Team, while it was still held out of Jackie's place. That was a 35 miler, and we had no trouble either recovering or making the ride time. As I recall, we also did the first Casper's ride, can't remember whether there were others. Like many newbies, I also lacked [insert: reliable] horse transportation until 1996.

People are friendly here, and new rider meetings help people know who else is in their boat.I have noticed that at our rides, they are "reunions" of sorts for people that haven't seen each other in a while. Those enthusiastic conversations can tend to dominate and not invite new folks to join in. I am as guilty as anyone of that, jeez, the last Malibu ride dinner was particularly raucous. Meeting new people happens pre-ride, at vet checks, and other than at meetings.

Lynne
http://www.photo.lynnesite.com