Re: [RC] GSFTR - Keith Kibler

Angie
" All I'm saying is unless that person was planning on going for the same "win" you were going for and didn't want the competition...what do you think their motive was in trying to slow you down? If it was to protect your horse from your enthusiasm what is so horrible about that? If you see someone getting ready to make what you consider a mistake...will you mention it to them or just watch it play out?"
Who said anything about "win"? One person on line did tell me that I should not go over 6 mph. I told her as nicely as I could that my horse was doing more than that (gps) in my long slow distance rides.
Of course I would help them at whatever and that means more than horses. In my non poop scooping life I sponsor the local colleges beginning triathlon, and am a youth prison chaplain.
That is not what the people were doing at my first 50 miler last year. What they said was "you dont belong here, "
It was so bad that 2 woman I did not know nor had never met came up to me in the pre vet the night before and said " We really like your horse, dont know what he can do but we are furious at the way these people are talking to you. If we can be anypart of your kicking these arrogant people's asses, we want to crew for you"
Look, I got over this, the horse and I did well, have done well since then and moved on, but my point in even talking about it is to say that there is in some patches an arragant clickishness (to use Pete's phrase) in the sport that needs to have some light, make that love, shined on it so that new comers will feel welcomed and want to return and bring others.
Keith