[RC] Cold shoulder? - Dodie Sable

Title: Message

What Jay, Keith and others are pointing out is we have a very real problem in the sport. There is a very definite click in endurance. Those outside the click who don't ride the right breed of horse, the right color, wear the right cloths, or the right saddle are given the cold shoulder or have people talk behind their backs as you have done. I've experienced it first hand. I've been told to my face that my horse couldn't "do endurance".

~~~~~

Now that's interesting to read because I've experienced exactly the opposite since I began this sport in 1999.  I ride Appaloosas and Tennessee Walkers, and yes, I've had people tell me if I wanted to be serious in this sport I needed to get an Arabian and I just smile and keep on riding my own breed.  Everyone I've encountered has been wonderful, I've never gotten the cold shoulder and in my neck of the woods I've been known as "The App Lady" since I show up with a trailer full of spots.  I have heard "talking behind the back" about me, and about other "non-conformists" but that is to be expected no matter where you go in life and I view it as a success!  See!  Someone noticed me enough to talk about me.  For the most part, the people I've met in AERC and ECTRA have been marvelous, educational, friendly and by no means snobbish or mean like those competitors in other equine sports.

Dodie