Re: [RC] Teaching a horse to trot in hand at Vet Checks - jorudo

Shoot, I thought these were directions for how to get the horse to go, til I read all the way thru. I remember one ride with a friend who took her map out, opened it up and the horse spooked and bolted. She tried to throw the map away, but had a crop sticking out of her back pocket, which the map got hung up on, acted very much like a parachute, and REALLY got the horse going. Thank goodness the map tore and blew off before the horse was too far down the trail.

And I remember another situation where a "trainer" was going to get a horse used to plastic bags, so tied one to each stirrup, then asked the horse to lunge. LUNGE it did, as soon as the bags ballooned out, yanked the lunge line right out of the trainer's hands, and proceeded to tear around the arena at a dead gallop to get away from those parachutes, kicking and bucking as it ran full speed. Finally stopped of sheer exhaustion. Yep, I was mighty impressed, but I'll bet that horse turns into a blithering idiot at the sight of plastic bags to this day.

Beth Walker <bwalker2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Heidi --

First, you get three lengths of good quality steel pipe, plus
brackets to attach the pipes to the saddle as an anchoring frame
around the cantle. Make sure the pipes are attached firmly to the
tree of the saddle - Dave Kaden could probably perform the
modifications needed. :)

Attach the parachute to the frame, and the frame to the saddle. The
parachute sits on top of the cantle bag. Make sure you also have
some guide brackets to feed the rip chord through so that it doesn't
get tangled :: it should just behind your hip where the cantle starts.

Oh yeah ... big smiley... :)