[RC] Quality vs. quantity - Sharon Hahn

I boarded for a few years, now have my horses at home.

I prefer having them at home, because I know they are cared for properly, with hay I think is good quality, the amount of feed I've decided they need, fences that I've inspected and know to be safe, etc.   If it's raining in the evening, I can put them inside and then go out and let them out again before I go to bed if it's stopped.  If they are sick or hurt, I can set up temporary quarters and routines as needed.  I am grateful to know that when my old mare retires, she can loaf around my pasture as long as she wants without being a burden.  I enjoy taking care of them every day much more than I enjoy riding.

However, I probably spend less time with them than I did at the stable.  They get hugs and feed for 15 minutes twice a day every day, but I ride less, and I groom less.  A friend of mine who loves to ride way more than I do was considering buying a hobby farm - I told her, "You do know you don't get to ride, right?  You just work on your property all the time."

--
We've Got Your Name @ Mail.com !!!