[RC] Owyhee Canyonlands - another 260 miles! - Steph Teeter

Wow - this is by far the most fun ride to manage. Spending a week with the same group of folks - watching the days unfold as folks find their pace. Swapping horses, helping each other, competing, riding all those miles, vetting all those horses, marking all those trails. Fantastic dinners and good Idaho wine to relax after a shower. Great vets, volunteers - the folks that shape the ride and keep it going. We have enough diversity of trails here that I can send folks out in every direction of the compass to see different trails, different parts of the Owyhee Canyonland country, and I love having everybody come back to the ranch every night - watching new friendships develop, old timers and newbies alike. Treated to odes and poems and sage advice from head vet Michael Peterson, Olin and Karen Balch always positive and doing their best to help horse and rider manage consecutive days. A real challenge, and every year I'm amazed at the horsemanship on display. Naomi Preston and Karlady (AERC Hall of Fame Mustang Lady is Karlady's dam) were awesome all week - keeping the edge, efficient, focused - and finishing the 260 miles in a time of 30:43 - seven hours faster than the next 5-day horse. Tom Noll and Frank as usual put a smile on my face every time I saw them, and Frank was strong and consistent all week winning the Vet's Choice award. (and Tom and Frank also won the Totally Tough Sucker Award - they rode every Owyhee ride - 9 50's and the NC 100 to boot!)

A wonderful and exhausting week. This is really what keeps me going as a ride manager - it's so satisfying to share this wonderful country with such great folks - and in such a friendly atmosphere. I do wish some of the riders from around the world could experience this aspect of Endurance riding - it's such a different feel from the FEI level of competition - and for many of us this is what keeps feeding the passion - the horse, the trail, the challenge, the friendships. Hard to beat.

Steph

full results at http://www.endurance.net/oreana/owyheecanyonlands/2007/